We are pleased to offer a four-day hands-on workshop on Introduction to Machine Learning using Python to our subscription holder free of charge.
The course will take place on 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th March 2021 via zoom.
The course targets PhD students and researchers who have no prior experience in machine learning.
Our goals are:
- to provide a robust understanding of the basic concepts of machine learning (focusing on supervised learning) in a very concise form;
- to introduce these concepts using as little math as possible;
- to teach how to use Python for both classical machine learning as well as neural networks.
This course is not:
- a comprehensive introduction into the field;
- only focused on deep learning;
- an introduction to Python for general data science.
At every course day we will offer an additional 1 hour of data science consultancy where participants can discuss their individual data science problems, questions and projects with the tutors.
This course might be right for you if you can answer the following questions with yes:
- I have a basic understanding of Python.
- I have no working experience with machine learning.
Preliminary course layout
Monday, March 8th
- General introduction
- Concepts of classification
- Overfitting and cross-validation
- How to assess the quality of a classifier
- Concepts of regression
Tuesday, March 9th
- Processing-pipelines and hyperparameter optimization with scikit-learn
- Overview over basic classification algorithms
Wednesday, March 10th
- Overview over basic classification algorithms (continued)
- Introduction to neural networks and deep learning with TensorFlow
Thursday, March 11th
- Introduction to neural networks and deep learning with TensorFlow (continued)
You can register for the workshop only if you belong to a group or a department which has a subscription with SIS.
To apply please fill out the application form.
The course will take place on 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th March 2021 and is limited to 30 participants.
We start the lectures/hand-on sessions at 9:30 and expect to end around 15:30 on all four days.
The consultancy hours will be from 16:00-17:00.
Your tutors will be:
- Dr. Tarun Chadha
- Dr. Mikolaj Rybinski
- Dr. Uwe Schmitt