We provide courses and workshops on various problems of scientific computing that we develop based on the needs of our users.
Some examples for past, running or coming courses:
- Two day course about "best practices" for writing code for solving scientific problems.
- Introduction to Programming with Python (8 to 10 lectures, targeted to researchers without any programming experience)
- Python for NGS (Next Generation Sequencing) (6 lectures Python introduction, 6 lectures about NGS and bio-informatic specific topics)
- One day Python introduction for researchers having programming experience in other languages.
- Introduction to Apache spark for large scale data processing.
- Four-day course in parallel programming with MPI/OpenMP
- One-day tutorial on code optimization.
- A series of programming related hands-on trainings.
Many of the course topics, we develop together with our users, as they fulfill an immediate need of a research group or project.
We assist you to plan, establish and improve data analysis strategies for research projects in early stages as well as during a running project. Together with you, we discuss your computing problem, clarify open questions, analyze the issue and suggest solution options.
A consulting project may be the starting point for obtaining other SIS services, like buying a compute share on the HPC clusters or starting a custom software development project, or we may just be able to point you to an existing (open-source) software tool or identify an existing service or resource that you could use.
Beyond high performance computing and data management we specialize in fields as bio-informatics, statistics, machine learning, chemo-informatics and signal or image processing.
We hold regular Code Clinic sessions at Hönggerberg, in Weinbergstrasse (WEC) and at D-BSSE in Basel where researchers can stop by to get help with their own source code. Although a formal registration is not necessary, a short email notification with a brief explanation of the type of assistance required might help us to assist you more efficiently.
During a Code Clinic experienced programmers will look at your code and may
- review your code and make suggestions how you could improve it in many respects as
- suggest ways to speed up your program or make it run with less memory
- advice you on how to make it more redable, robust, maintainable and reusable
- help you to find bugs or to solve other programming related problems
This was just a list of examples, contact us for whatever question you have about programming.
So if your specific problem does not exactly fit to the examples above or you are just curious about programming and never programmed before it might be worth to drop in.
We announce our code clinics via email and in our news section.
In addition to the Code Clinics, which are primarily focused on programming questions, we also provide help in problems related to data analysis in general.
For example, our staff competent in fields as computer science and mathematics can help you
- to adapt known algorithms for specific purposes.
- to use algorithms which are mentioned in scientific publications but are not yet available as libraries for end users.
- to find appropriate algorithms for your data analysis.
We announce our data clinics via email and in our news section.